Information from VSAC:
- May 1st is typically the deadline to commit to a college. Use this tool to see if a school you have applied to has made any changes to their deadlines. Or call the school directly to double check.
- VSAC still plans to have most scholarships selected and awarded by May 1st.
- Filed the FAFSA but something has changed for your family’s finances? Please reach out to the financial aid offices at each college to update them on your circumstances.
- Just in case you haven’t filled out your FAFSA or Vermont State Grant applications – there’s still time! Need some pointers to get started? Watch our question-by-question walk-through of FAFSA and Grant applications on YouTube.
- Need help comparing financial aid offers? Compare offers from different colleges using our resources at vsac.org/financial-aid-college-costs. Watch this video listen to VSAC staff on VPR’s Vermont Edition and use VSAC’s financial aid offer comparison tool -- download the form here.
- As you think through all the options to pay for your education, watch this video to help you think through all the costs.
Here’s the link to access VSAC student loans: https://www.vsac.org/student-loans
- Keep your college/technical training planning going: Students should be researching colleges or technical training programs. Many colleges/technical training programs are offering virtual tours right now and those can all be found on each specific college/technical program website.
- Updates on SAT & ACT: Recent and upcoming test dates for the SAT and ACT have been canceled. In the meantime, the College Board has lots of free SAT prep materials and ACT has free ACT prep materials. Khan Academy also offers free test prep and online learning opportunities. Here is the College and Career
Pathways SAT/ACT prep presentation with Matt Shagam, SAT/ACT Prep
- You may start thinking about college costs: watch this video to help you think through all the ways you can manage college costs.
Strive Virtual College Exploration Week
Monday, April 27th - Friday, May 8th, 2020
· 300+ colleges from 44 states and 10 countries
· 96 sessions over 4 days
· Free and open to students nationwide
Registration for students and parents is now live: www.strivescan.com/virtual
The 96 panel presentations include topics ranging from:
· Finding college fit
· Essay writing
· Visits (on-campus and virtual)
· In-state options vs. Going out of state
Every panel includes the perspectives from at least three different institutions and all presentations are 45 minutes in length.
Students can browse the schedule or search based on topic, state, or specific college/university. They can also get more information on each institution presenting, including the school’s location, size, average GPA, test scores, and Test Optional status.
Students should register for each panel that they want to attend. Once they register, they’ll receive a confirmation email with their unique link to join the Zoom webinar. (Students will also receive a barcode, but the barcode is not necessary for this virtual event.)
Check out these other helpful resources:
Writing the College Admissions Essay: https://youtu.be/QOACqFsFO1s
Financial Aid & Managing College Costs: https://youtu.be/8q5N9jrYyyI
Scholarships - Free Money!: https://youtu.be/4kKRlttdp2A
Strategies for the SAT and ACT: https://youtu.be/0bjaig22RHE
Navigating the Admissions Process: https://youtu.be/Ki9QJpKm1Ws
Navigating Your Way to a Better Job Through Short-Term Training and Apprenticeships: https://youtu.be/5hSWuVc9c6c
Funding Your Certificate or Technical Training Program: https://youtu.be/q1T2szPLhnY
The College Search - Finding the Right Fit: https://youtu.be/fIs6stuDTZY
Financial Aid Award Letters: https://youtu.be/byO-rU86_y4
Gap Year 101 - Answering Your Questions About the Gap Year Option: https://youtu.be/aUwh0nftMKw
Let's Fill Out the Vermont Grant Application: https://youtu.be/qyW91Y_6-cA
Let's Fill Out the FAFSA: https://youtu.be/BFuKc59TrgI